Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: RM_2596 - Query tool not working in Desktop Runtime on Mac OS X

From: Surinder Kumar <surinder(dot)kumar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: RM_2596 - Query tool not working in Desktop Runtime on Mac OS X
Date: 2017-08-16 10:13:31
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi,

Updated patch contains changes:

- Enable definePlugin for development environment as well. Just adding
definePlugin in plugins array.
The variable process.env.NODE_ENV is useful to write conditional code in
pgAdmin4 JS modules.

For example:

if (process.env.NODE_ENV !== 'production') {
// Write development environment specific code
} else {
// Write production only code.
}

Please review this patch and let me know for changes.

Thanks,
Surinder

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 11:32 AM, Surinder Kumar <
surinder(dot)kumar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Ashesh,
>
> 1. Now we are using `envType` variable in definePlugin which sets
> environment variable NODE_ENV globally which is used by React to create
> development or production build.
> where:
> envType - determine build type is either `production` or
> `development`​ depending on the environment set in package.json > scripts.
>
> 2. In `UglifyJSPlugin`, i am setting compress > `warnings to false`,
> because here warning flag is meant to display warnings on terminal while
> creating build in production mode. so it is set to false.
>
> I didn't created an RM for #2 as it is minor change, if needed, i will
> create.
>
> ​Reference to webpack definePlugin:
> https://webpack.js.org/guides/production/#node-environment-variable​
>
> Please find updated patch with fixed review comments and review.
>
> Thanks,
> Surinder
>
> On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 3:31 PM, Ashesh Vashi <
> ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 12:42 PM, Surinder Kumar <
>> surinder(dot)kumar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I inspect the react code and in call stacks, found
>>> `process.env.NODE_ENV` is undefined due to which 'SyntheticEvent.call' is
>>> not callable.
>>>
>>> So, to fix this, i add 'definePlugin' to plugins for `dev` environment
>>> in `webpack.config.js`. Initially it was added only for `production`
>>> environment. but it is needed for both, because React code is conditional
>>> based on environment variables set.
>>>

>>> Please find attached patch and review.
>>>
>> As discussed, you're setting 'production', even in the 'development' mode.
>>
>> Please understand the code, and share the updated patch.
>> Also - share the references next time, so that - committer can understand
>> the reason for these changes.
>>
>> -- Thanks, Ashesh
>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Surinder

Attachment Content-Type Size
RM_2596_v2.patch application/octet-stream 1.4 KB