Re: Any reasons for 'DO' statement not returning result?

From: Xtra Coder <xtracoder(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Any reasons for 'DO' statement not returning result?
Date: 2016-08-14 10:13:00
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks, I'm aware about ability to create temp functions, but this is
actually too much overhead - I mean unneeded boilerplate code, but it seems
in current state it is "the least evil" which I have to use.

I think 'what i need' is support for following
- ability to switch session language from 'sql' to 'pl/pgsql'
- in that mode - ability to declare session-scope variables, 'DO' is just
not needed after that
- SELECTs not targeted into a variable - are written to client output
- (C) Merlin Moncure - "Ability to embed collection of statements in the
database under a name and invoke those statements via CALL <name>, which
does not automatically create a transaction and a snapshot (unlike
functions/DO)"

All this seems to be a huge change which will definitely not appear any
time soon.