Re: Remove deprecated -H option from oid2name

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove deprecated -H option from oid2name
Date: 2024-10-16 04:57:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wednesday, October 9, 2024, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> wrote:

> > On 9 Oct 2024, at 19:15, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
> > Another problem is that "deprecated" may or may not imply that the
> feature
> > will be removed in the future. IMHO we should be clear about that when
> we
> > intend to remove something down the road (e.g., "this flag is deprecated
> > and will be removed in a future major release of PostgreSQL").
>
> That's a fair point, but if we don't aim to remove something we have,
> IMHO, a
> social contract to maintain the feature instead and at that point it's
> questionable if it is indeed deprecated. I guess I think we should
> separate
> between discouraged and deprecated.

I’m for the status-quo. We don’t imply removal when we say deprecated,
only that (usually) a better alternative exists. This setup meets our
existing standards.

I don’t see a need or meaningful benefit trying to add a new term
“discouraged” here. But if we do want to improve formality in this area a
recap of existing discussions and its own thread would be needed.

David J.