Re: BUG #18584: Triggers are not fired or executing when any DML transaction runs

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: shekhar(dot)salunkhe(at)capgemini(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18584: Triggers are not fired or executing when any DML transaction runs
Date: 2024-08-17 16:37:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sat, Aug 17, 2024 at 9:15 AM PG Bug reporting form <
noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> Bug reference: 18584
> Logged by: Shekhar Salunkhe
> Email address: shekhar(dot)salunkhe(at)capgemini(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 16.2
> Operating system: Linux
>
> Trigger should get automatically executed once DML operation
> invoke/completed.

The buildfarm proves that a stock community 16.2 install has functioning
triggers. Whatever is going on is specific to your situation and most
likely not a bug. I'd suggest posting for help to -general with more
details including the evidence for the simple test you performed below.

Further I have created simple new table and trigger on it, still it is not
> invoked after update statement.

[...]

> I have provided required grants "SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, TRUNCATE,
> REFERENCES, TRIGGER" of that table to user. Provided all usage schema to
> that user. Given ownership of trigger functions to that user.
> Still there is no trigger executed except insert / update / delete
> operation
> runs OK.

None of those actions are expected to make a difference. You would have
seen permission errors if they were relevant.

David J.