Re: BUG #18585: Date/time conversion functions are not protected against integer overflow

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18585: Date/time conversion functions are not protected against integer overflow
Date: 2024-08-17 16:45:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs

PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> The date/time conversion functions do_to_timestamp(), DCH_from_char(),
> ... lack reliable checks for integer overflow in the input components.

It's pretty hard to get excited about that, given that the overflow
limits are so many orders of magnitude beyond the useful input range.
There are plenty of garbage-in-garbage-out scenarios associated with
(mis)use of the to_xxx functions, and this feels like just another one.

If anybody does feel excited about the topic, I'm not going to stand
in their way ... but I'm not excited.