Re: compiling postgres on windows - how to deal with unmatched file extension?

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Yang, T(dot) Andy" <tyang99(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: compiling postgres on windows - how to deal with unmatched file extension?
Date: 2022-12-14 05:40:00
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Dec 13, 2022 at 9:56 PM Yang, T. Andy <tyang99(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> I checked out source code from the latest master version on github. I was
> expecting the build would go smoothly since I didn't modify anything.

That philosophy unfortunately doesn't work here. There are many
pre-requisites and there isn't a package.json equivalent kind of file in
which we can define all of our dependencies (especially due to the lack of
intermediary engine like the JVM or Node to cover over platform
differences) so that the build is fully self-contained. Instead we have to
document those requirements in the documentation (they are indirectly
documented in the configuration files/scripts I suppose...).

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/install-windows-full.html

The msvc README in the repo also covers these two extensions explicitly:

https://github.com/postgres/postgres/tree/master/src/tools/msvc

pgbison.pl internal tool to process .y files using bison
pgflex.pl internal tool to process .l files using flex

David J.