Re: Cascade streaming replication + wal_files - Pgsql 9.2

From: Patrick B <patrickbakerbr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Sameer Kumar <sameer(dot)kumar(at)ashnik(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cascade streaming replication + wal_files - Pgsql 9.2
Date: 2016-07-07 02:31:40
Lists: pgsql-general

The slave02 server will be a copy of the DB into Amazon. There will be a
migration to Amazon in the future, and the company's managers want a copy
of the current DB there to test and do all the stuffs they need (migrating
to 9.5, too).

slave01 is already working as a streaming replication server.
The master server sends the wal_files to slave01 by archive_command.

The plan below isn't my idea, I would do different but isn't my call:

*Current scenario:*

master stores wal_files into slave01
slave02 does not exists

*The plan is:*

1. setup slave02 at amazon EC2 (just for testing and future master server
for devs)
2. setup postgres on slave02 (9.2)
3. pg_basebackup will be run from slave01. This will split the base in
files of 50GB each (example)
4. Send the splitted files from slave01 to slave02
5. restore/join the files
6. start postgres on the slave02 slave
7. restore the DB using the wal_files from slave01

Question:

Is possible to make slave01 archive the wal_files? can just be a
archive_command and archive_mode = on?