Re: Cascade streaming replication + wal_files - Pgsql 9.2

From: Sameer Kumar <sameer(dot)kumar(at)ashnik(dot)com>
To: Patrick B <patrickbakerbr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cascade streaming replication + wal_files - Pgsql 9.2
Date: 2016-07-07 02:55:25
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 7 Jul 2016, 10:32 a.m. Patrick B, <patrickbakerbr(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> The slave02 server will be a copy of the DB into Amazon. There will be a
> migration to Amazon in the future, and the company's managers want a copy
> of the current DB there to test and do all the stuffs they need (migrating
> to 9.5, too).

Have you checked out Amazon's DMS?

> slave01 is already working as a streaming replication server.
> The master server sends the wal_files to slave01 by archive_command.
>
> The plan below isn't my idea, I would do different but isn't my call:

Been there :)

> *Current scenario:*
>
> master stores wal_files into slave01
> slave02 does not exists
>

> *The plan is:*
>
> 1. setup slave02 at amazon EC2 (just for testing and future master server
> for devs)

Is it EC2 Classic? Or is it EC2 Virtual Pvt Cloud (VPC)?

> 2. setup postgres on slave02 (9.2)
> 3. pg_basebackup will be run from slave01. This will split the base in
> files of 50GB each (example)
> 4. Send the splitted files from slave01 to slave02
> 5. restore/join the files
> 6. start postgres on the slave02 slave
> 7. restore the DB using the wal_files from slave01

Given that slave02 is a standby, how do you plan on doing your regression
testing? It will be just a read only database.

You can restore the wal_file by specifying resotre_command to copy from the
archive generated by the master (rsync or scp to pull from your in-premise
setup to EC2). This would be fairly simple if you are using VPC

Question:

> Is possible to make slave01 archive the wal_files?

If you really can not just live with archive generated on master itself,
you need to try the options discussed up thread.
1. Copy the archives generated on master to a shared location or may be
copy it to S3 bucket
2. Archive generated on master is rsync (schedule basis) to EC2
3. pg_receivexlog running on EC2 to copy WAL from slave01

can just be a archive_command and archive_mode = on?

Setting these parameters on slave02 will have not any effect.

--
Best Regards
Sameer Kumar | DB Solution Architect

101 Cecil Street, #11-11 Tong Eng Building, Singapore 069 533

T: +65 6438 3504 | M: +65 8110 0350 | www.ashnik.com