Linux OOM killer

From: Ariel Tejera <artejera(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Linux OOM killer
Date: 2024-10-01 18:17:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi. I hope this message finds you well.

The issue is that one of our Postgres servers hit a bug and was killed by
linux OOM, as shown in the lines below, showing two events:

[image: image.png]

We were able to fix this problem adjusting the server configuration with:
enable_memoize = off

Our Postgres version is 14.5
Linux AWS linux2 (with diverse concurrent workloads)
Ram 32GB
Database size 200 GB

The issue was internally documented in this link:

Postgres failure 2024-09-20
<https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FkHAqVkPmC_jT6ugYEsGX0ZrzXMMLSMarf_8V02E2qg>

This is the first reproducible bug I've found in 20 years using postgres,
heavily (!)

As this bug is associated with large databases, it is impractical to offer
a reproducible example for it. We hope, however, that this report will be
of some use for the Postgres project.

Yours,
Ariel Tejera Molina
Technical Director