Re: Linux OOM killer

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Ariel Tejera <artejera(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Linux OOM killer
Date: 2024-10-02 04:16:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, 2024-10-01 at 12:17 -0600, Ariel Tejera wrote:
> Hi.  I hope this message finds you well.
>
> The issue is that one of our Postgres servers hit a bug and was killed by linux OOM, as
> shown in the lines below, showing two events:
>
> We were able to fix this problem adjusting the server configuration with:
> enable_memoize = off
>
> Our Postgres version is 14.5
> Linux AWS linux2 (with diverse concurrent workloads)
> Ram 32GB
> Database size 200 GB
>
> This is the first reproducible bug I've found in 20 years using postgres, heavily (!)
>
> As this bug is associated with large databases, it is impractical to offer a reproducible example for it.
> We hope, however, that this report will be of some use for the Postgres project.

First of all, update to 14.latest. I find at least one bug fixed in this area:
https://postgr.es/c/e4b95b9b02, discussed in https://postgr.es/m/83281eed63c74e4f940317186372abfd%40cft.ru

Then, disable memory overcommit, so that you don't get killed by the OOM killer.
Then you will get an "out of memory" error and a memory context dump in the log.
We'd need to see that to figure out if it really is a bug.

It need not be a bug if you run out of memory. It might as well be that you
configured PostgreSQL too generously.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe