Re: Adding Oracle Linux to the Linux Download pages

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Lenz Grimmer <lenz(at)grimmer(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding Oracle Linux to the Linux Download pages
Date: 2013-12-27 16:26:09
Lists: pgsql-www

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM, Lenz Grimmer <lenz(at)grimmer(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Magnus,
>

> On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>wrote:
>

>> Does Oracle Linux use the same version numbering? Right now it's
>> "RHEL/CentOS/SL 5" - is that equivalent of "Oracle Linux 5", and
>> "RHEL/CentOS/SL 6" is equivalent of "Oracle Linux 6"?
>>

> Yes, that's correct - the major version numbers and the respective update
> releases of Oracle Linux are equivalent to upstream RHEL.
>

>> What's the typical abbreviation used for Oracle Linux? OL?
>>

> Yes, even though the long variant is preferred. It's definitely *not*
> "OEL" or "Unbreakable Linux" - these brand names have been obsoleted more
> than three years ago.

Yeah, we don't really have space for the long variant in the version list.
We abbreviate with RHEL and SL there already, so we should do the same here.

I have pushed an update with this information which should hit the website
within an hour. Reviews are appreciated, as I changed some other things
around as well to make things more clear (for example, trying to
consistently refer to things as "RedHat Family" of distributions).

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/