Re: On disable_cost

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: On disable_cost
Date: 2024-10-10 12:43:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 8 Oct 2024 at 04:14, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I think you have adequate consensus to proceed with this. I'd just ask
> that you don't disappear completely if it turns out that there are
> problems. I accept that my commit created this problem and I'm
> certainly willing to be involved too if we need to sort out more
> things.

Thanks. I've attached a polished-up version of the earlier patch.

I spent quite a bit of time testing it by manually adjusting
disabled_nodes while attached with my debugger. Doing it that way was
easier as it's often hard and maybe sometimes not possible to get the
disabled node you want in a plan.

I'll loop back to the documentation part and Laruenz's patch after
this part is committed.

If anyone wants to take a look at the attached, please do so.
Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it and will likely push it on New
Zealand Friday (aka later today).

David

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-Adjust-EXPLAIN-s-output-for-disabled-nodes.patch application/octet-stream 38.2 KB