Re: BUG #18553: Please seriously address the severe issue of database installation failures on Windows 10.

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pinsaxy(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18553: Please seriously address the severe issue of database installation failures on Windows 10.
Date: 2024-07-26 23:46:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Jul 26, 2024 at 9:33 PM PG Bug reporting form
<noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
> The first step for customers using PostgreSQL is installation. However, due
> to potential user permission issues with PostgreSQL, the installation always
> fails at the database creation step. During the installation process, a
> dialog box pops up saying: Problem running post-install step, Installation
> may not complete correctly. Failed to start the database server. After
> installation, the data directory is empty.

Some wild guesses at things to look into:

1. User error: does it need to be run as administrator? I wonder if
it is possible that the diagnostic error messages could be improved,
ie if common user mistakes could be detected better, and also if the
dialogue box could tell the user where to find the log to check for
more details if it doesn't already, which might help users fix
problems themselves more often and encourage higher quality bug
reports when they can't. I've never used the installer myself, I'm
just thinking out loud about how to turn this information-free bug
report towards a positive outcome, ie whether the frustration
expressed is really about mismatched expectations about where users
will think to look for the solution.

2. Encoding issues: There have in the past been a few problems with
locale names, directory names, user names containing non-ASCII
characters that have apparently confused the installer. Examples:

https://github.com/EnterpriseDB/edb-installers/issues/127 (same message)
https://github.com/EnterpriseDB/edb-installers/issues/106 (different message)

Again, the .log file might have the clues needed.

> I believe that a dedicated software company should not ignore installation
> issues. I am extremely angry about this and have registered an account
> specifically to express my dissatisfaction with you!

I just want to say that I really appreciate the hard work done by the
Windows installer team. Packaging large complicated open source
projects for that OS is a really difficult job, given for free to end
users, and it can be a hostile crowd.