Re: BUG #18557: Compatibility issue

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: seong(dot)lim42(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18557: Compatibility issue
Date: 2024-07-26 23:19:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> This is more of an inquiry than a bug report, but lately I have been trying
> to install PostgreSQL 14.12 on a SUSE 15.4 machine and ran into an error:

> bin/postgres: libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.30' not found (required
> by /opt/mstr/install/Repository/postgres14/lib/libicuuc.so.73)

> Basically, my understanding is that PostgreSQL 14.12 requires some ICU
> libraries that are compiled with higher version of glibc than SUSE 15.4's
> default one. I noticed this issue on SUSE 15 SP 5 as well. Problem is, I
> have a client who is on SUSE 15.4 and is not willing to install SP 6 (but
> may consider SP 5), and also doesn't want to upgrade glibc version due to
> other concerns. In this case, do you see any other way of making PostgreSQL
> 14.12 functioning on SUSE 15 SP 4 or 5? Thank you.

Build from source? Your basic problem here is that your platform's
set of libraries doesn't match what was used by whoever built the
Postgres packages you're trying to install. It's unlikely that
they'll be excited about adding yet another platform variant to
their list of builds (especially not if it's a long-since-obsoleted
variant). But the great thing about open source is you can build
it yourself.

In the Red Hat ecosystem I'd suggest grabbing the corresponding SRPM
and seeing if you can build binary packages from that locally, rather
than resorting directly to raw Postgres source code. I don't know the
equivalent terms in SUSE's packaging system, but I'm sure it works
roughly the same.