Re: Regarding column reordering project for GSoc 2012

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Atri Sharma <atri(dot)jiit(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Regarding column reordering project for GSoc 2012
Date: 2012-03-17 19:15:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Saturday, March 17, 2012, Atri Sharma <atri(dot)jiit(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi Alvaro,
> Thanks for going through my description.
>

> I was going through the posts,when I realised that if we give each client
the flexibility of defining his/her own order with complete control,that
would be probably the right way(IMHO).

> I mean,if the user sees,not the physical implementation,but a
customizable interface instead,which is mapped to the physical
implementation,then,we can solve to some extent,the problem of
logical/physical decoupling.

Anything done in the client bar changing the column it orders on (which
ideally should be avoided too if practical) is going to lead to pain and
suffering as some will do it, some won't, and a few might get it wrong.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company