Re: Docker build simplification

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Docker build simplification
Date: 2019-09-11 11:14:17
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 6:59 AM Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 11:21 PM Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>
>> The attached patch simplifies the Docker container build so that it can
>> be done entirely using "docker build" in the root of a source tree. It also
>> enables building the container from a tarball, not just a git checkout.
>> This does mean that container builds may now also include any garbage in
>> the source tree from which they're built, but conversely offers the benefit
>> of making it easy to build a container with code changes in it without
>> having to commit first.
>>
>> Akshay, can you look it over to make sure I haven't done anything
>> obviously stupid? Feedback from others is also welcome of course.
>>
> Dave,
>
> Is there any reason - we're not using the requirements.txt from the docker
> file, and installing the packages separately.

I'm not sure what you mean. It installs Python dependencies in two places;

- In the documentation builder intermediate container. This doesn't use
requirements.txt, and installs just the bare minimum required to install
the docs.

- In the final container. This does use requirements.txt.

I suppose there's a minor simplification that can be made to the way I'm
installing the requirements.txt file itself. At the moment it gets copied
to the app builder, and then from there to the final container. I don't
think it's actually needed in the app builder so I could just copy it from
the host straight into the final container.

Or did you mean something else?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com