Re: ODBC constructs

From: Atri Sharma <atri(dot)jiit(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dev Kumkar <devdas(dot)kumkar(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ODBC constructs
Date: 2013-05-21 04:12:06
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general pgsql-odbc

Sent from my iPad

On 21-May-2013, at 6:15, Dev Kumkar <devdas(dot)kumkar(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My objective is to work with postgres from my linux box using C. Am not sure whether psqlODBC or libpq should be used.
> I was playing and used libpq successfully but not sure which route to go and whats the difference.
>
> Also Can you please let me know any mapping document which maps ODBC constructs between sybase and postgres.
>
> Also list of ODBC constructs to be used with postgres.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Regards...
>
> p.s. Am not sure if the earlier email was sent..sorry for spam in case it was.
>

> On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Dev Kumkar <devdas(dot)kumkar(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> My objective is to work with postgres from my linux box using C. Am not sure whether psqlODBC or libpq should be used.
>> I was playing and used libpq successfully but not sure which route to go and whats the difference.
>>
>> Also Can you please let me know any mapping document which maps ODBC constructs between sybase and postgres.
>>
>> Also list of ODBC constructs to be used with postgres.

If you are looking for a client to work with with your Postgres database,then you can use psql(for command line),or use PGAdmin (http://www.pgadmin.org/).

If you are looking to connect data from your Sybase database to a Postgres database,you can have a look at the various
Foreign data wrappers Postgres has.

If you wish to work in C,then,I would suggest libpq.I would wait for more replies on this,as I have little knowledge
about psqlODBC.

Regards,

Atri