Re: pg_xlogfile_name for PostgreSQL 8.0

From: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "girish R G peetle *EXTERN*" <giri(dot)anamika0(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_xlogfile_name for PostgreSQL 8.0
Date: 2013-06-25 09:45:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

girish R G peetle wrote:
> On PostgreSQL 8.0, I need to convert output of pg_start_backup / pg_stop_backup to transaction log
> file name. In the the latest versions we have pg_xlogfile_name function to do this, but 8.0 there is
> not function to achieve this.
>
> Is it possible to export pg_xlogfile_name function from the latest versions(8.2+) and import it to
> PostgreSQL 8.0 server ?
>
> I couldn't find any information regrading getting a dump of system function in PostgreSQL
> documentation.

You cannot dump/restore this function into 8.0, it needs server side C code.

The best you can probably do is to figure out part of the name yourself,
like WAL location '1/80000A8' corresponds to *0000000100000008 (with a wildcard,
because we do not know the time line).
That's maybe good enough to narrow down which WAL file to archive.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe