Re: 7.2.1 optimises very badly against 7.2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Sam Liddicott" <sam(dot)liddicott(at)ananova(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.2.1 optimises very badly against 7.2
Date: 2002-07-12 13:20:49
Lists: pgsql-general

"Sam Liddicott" <sam(dot)liddicott(at)ananova(dot)com> writes:
> Do you feel the random page cost of 3 is good to solve this?

For the moment, anyway. There have been a couple of rounds of
pgsql-hackers discussion about whether to lower the default value of
random_page_cost, but so far no one has done any experiments that
would be needed to establish a good new value. (The current default
of 4.0 is based on some old experiments I did. I'm quite willing to
accept that those experiments might have been flawed, but not willing
to replace the number without seeing better experiments...)