Re: again trouble

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Henrik Steffen" <steffen(at)city-map(dot)de>
Cc: "pg" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: again trouble
Date: 2002-07-12 13:29:38
Lists: pgsql-general

"Henrik Steffen" <steffen(at)city-map(dot)de> writes:
> vacuum verbose analyze zugriffsrechte
> ERROR: IndexSupportInitialize: no pg_index entry for index 14958692

> tom, could this again be due to a broken SD-RAM chip?

Perhaps. It's certainly looking more and more like you've got some
kind of hardware problem ... Postgres is just not this flaky for most
people ;-).

If you wanted to dig into it, you could pg_filedump
pg_index_indrelid_index and look to see why it doesn't have an entry for
14958692. My bet is that the entry is indeed there, but is not being
found --- either its own key is corrupted, or some nearby keys are
corrupted in a way that renders them out-of-order, causing binary search
to conclude the desired key is not present. A single-bit error in the
key field would certainly suffice to cause such a problem.