Re: PostgreSQL File System Based Backup Restartability

From: Jerry Sievers <gsievers19(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: girish R G peetle <giri(dot)anamika0(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL File System Based Backup Restartability
Date: 2015-02-17 20:46:25
Lists: pgsql-admin

girish R G peetle <giri(dot)anamika0(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:

> Thanks Kevin.
>
> "Be careful that when you resume after such an interruption you do
> not skip any files and that you complete or re-copy any files that
> were partially copied before the problems."
>
> Here you mean, we should not skip any files that was already backed up before interruption ?
>  I will have to backup entire content under DATA directory again ?

False.

Any file already copied and known copied thoroughly should not require
copying again.

The file under copy when the network drop occurred needs copying again
and/or syncing if your copy program knows how to do that without moving
all bits... and of course all missing files need copying also.

HTH

--
Jerry Sievers
Postgres DBA/Development Consulting