Re: Translations devroom at FOSDEM

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: pgsql-translators(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Translations devroom at FOSDEM
Date: 2023-02-20 07:16:40
Lists: pgsql-translators

On 02.01.23 12:26, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> There will be a Translations devroom at this year's FOSDEM conference on
> Sunday, February 5: https://fosdem.org/2023/schedule/track/translations/
>
> For those who won't be there (or won't fit into the rooms), I believe
> there will be live video and video recordings.
>
> I will be there to present about translations in the PostgreSQL project.
>  If you're there, please say hi.  Also, if there are suggestions about
> what to include in the presentation, let me know please.

The recording of my talk is now available:
https://fosdem.org/2023/schedule/event/translations_20_years_with_gettext/

Thanks to those who came out.

The rest of the track is also worth watching if you are interested in
this space.

I learned a lot that weekend from the feedback during and after the talk
and the other sessions. Mostly, it seems other projects (e.g., KDE,
GNOME, Fedora) are using essentially the same workflow as we do, of
course on a larger scale and with a bit more eye candy, but technically
very similar.

I learned about Weblate, which is a web application that manages the
translation processes, similar to Crowdin that some are already using.
We could look into that.

I heard that there is some work on message formats in the ICU project,
so in the long run this could replace Gettext.

To be clear, I don't plan to do any major infrastructure work before the
PG 16 release (but that shouldn't stop anyone else from trying), but I
might look into those in the future.