Re: Joe Hellerstein's "Looking Back at Postgres" paper

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Joe Hellerstein's "Looking Back at Postgres" paper
Date: 2024-07-04 20:22:58
Lists: pgsql-docs

Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> writes:
> On 4 Jul 2024, at 07:40, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I happened to come across this:
>> https://arxiv.org/pdf/1901.01973
>> I found this to be really interesting reading, so I wonder if
>> we shouldn't cite it in history.sgml or some such place.

> It's a really good read, +1 for referencing it in history.sgml. I would
> probably have placed it at the tail end of 2.1 to wrap up that section or at
> the very end.

After thinking for awhile, that seemed like burying the lede.
It's an independent telling of the tale, and could reasonably
go near the top, as in the attached draft.

(I'm not too sure how to cite book chapters in DocBook, so feel
free to critique that. Also, I noticed that the ports12 item
was not in alphabetical order, so I moved it.)

> Unrelated to that, but reading history.sgml I found this sentend at the end of
> the page to be sort of misleading:
> "Details about what has happened in PostgreSQL since then can be found
> in Appendix E."

Fixed that too.

BTW, I contacted Hellerstein to make sure he's okay with this,
and he is.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
add-citation-for-hellerstein-paper-v1.patch text/x-diff 3.7 KB