Re: Joe Hellerstein's "Looking Back at Postgres" paper

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Joe Hellerstein's "Looking Back at Postgres" paper
Date: 2024-07-04 07:06:54
Lists: pgsql-docs

> On 4 Jul 2024, at 07:40, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
> I happened to come across this:
>
> https://arxiv.org/pdf/1901.01973
>
> I found this to be really interesting reading, so I wonder if
> we shouldn't cite it in history.sgml or some such place.

It's a really good read, +1 for referencing it in history.sgml. I would
probably have placed it at the tail end of 2.1 to wrap up that section or at
the very end.

Unrelated to that, but reading history.sgml I found this sentend at the end of
the page to be sort of misleading:

"Details about what has happened in PostgreSQL since then can be found
in Appendix E."

While technically true, it seems a bit overpromising in a history section to
refer to the release notes which are written in a very different way from the
prose here (and the release notes are not even in Appendix E anymore).

--
Daniel Gustafsson