Re: Faster pg_resore with autovacuum off?

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Faster pg_resore with autovacuum off?
Date: 2024-07-28 13:58:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

> On Jul 28, 2024, at 6:40 AM, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at> wrote:
>
> That's bad advice. Very bad advice.
> That is, unless you are ready to delete the cluster and run a new "initdb" after an OS crash.

Exactly.

> You are wrong: it is not the database that is broken after a crash, but the entire cluster.

Good clarification. I personally have never had occasion to move a partial cluster, so my use of "database" in my question was sloppy, I meant "cluster". So yes, I'd delete the cluster and initdb if I ever actually had an OS crash during a pg_restore--which in 20 years of using PG has never happened. I suppose it might matter more if one were forced to run one's db on an unstable platform ;-)