Re: Faster pg_resore with autovacuum off?

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>, pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Faster pg_resore with autovacuum off?
Date: 2024-07-28 12:40:32
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Sat, 2024-07-27 at 14:05 -0600, Scott Ribe wrote:
> Similar argument applies to turning off fsync, which I have found to sometimes make a
> significant difference (depending on hardware).

That's bad advice. Very bad advice.
That is, unless you are ready to delete the cluster and run a new "initdb" after an OS crash.

But why risk that, if you can get virtually the same positive effect by disabling
"synchronous_commit". But all that shouldn't have a big effect on "pg_restore".
To tune "pg_restore", increate "max_wal_size", "checkpoint_timeout" and "maintenance_work_mem".

> The other argument I've seen, that if there's a crash during restore you'll have a
> corrupted database, is bogus. What are you going to try to do with a database if there's
> a crash during restore???

Drop it?
You are wrong: it is not the database that is broken after a crash, but the entire cluster.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe