Re: A starter task

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(at)vondra(dot)me>
To: sia kc <siavosh(dot)kasravi(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A starter task
Date: 2024-09-16 07:58:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 9/16/24 00:17, sia kc wrote:
> I have a bad experience. I picked up a task from MariaDB backlog,
> explained in their chat rooms that I started doing that. After it was
> done which was a SQL command which MySQL already supported to restart
> server instance with SQL, they started rethinking the validity of the
> feature for the MariaDB. So the task got suspended.

Unfortunately this can happen here too, to some extent. Sometimes it's
not obvious how complex the patch will be, the feature may conflict with
another feature in some unexpected way, etc. It's not like we have a
100% validated and agreed design somewhere.

This is why my advice is to pick a patch the contributor is personally
interested in. It puts him/her in a better position to advocate for the
feature, decide what trade offs are more appropriate, etc.

> About inlining not sure how it is done with gmail. Maybe should use
> another email client.

Can you just expand the email, hit enter in a place where you want to
add a response, and write.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra