Re: PL/Java new build plugin

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Kartik Ohri <kartikohri13(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pljava-dev(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PL/Java new build plugin
Date: 2020-07-25 19:10:01
Lists: pljava-dev

On 07/25/20 14:05, Kartik Ohri wrote:
> Also, I am trying to run the javadoc tool directly to know how it works but
> am getting some errors. Can you tell me the command I should execute to
> build the docs successfully? I looked up online for tutorials but most
> predate Java 9 and the module system so are not of much help.

I think you can get a basic set of javadocs for the pljava-api subproject,
for example, if you run something like

javadoc \
--module org.postgresql.pljava \
--module-source-path org.postgresql.pljava=pljava-api/src/main/java \
-d /tmp/put-them-here

You can find out what options the maven-javadoc-plugin is using by
adding <debug>true</debug> in its configuration, then running mvn site.

With <debug>, it will leave behind files javadoc.sh, options, argfile
in the apidocs directory. Then you can just see how many options the
plugin put in can be thrown away and it still works.

Of course we'll want some of the options that control what access
levels to show, page headers and footers, that kind of stuff. It's
just that all the lengths the maven plugin goes to trying to micromanage
where javadoc finds the files to document are nothing but trouble.
If you tell it what module to document and where to find it, really,
javadoc can figure out the rest.

I wouldn't mind writing the scripty bits to run javadoc, once there is
a scriptable mojo I can use to do it. Or if you'd like to, that's cool.

Regards,
-Chap