Re: Windows CI status

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Kartik Ohri <kartikohri13(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pljava-dev(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Windows CI status
Date: 2020-06-24 23:41:20
Lists: pljava-dev

On 06/24/20 15:31, Kartik Ohri wrote:

> For Java 9 it is a bit subtle, the tests don't fail but every time a JNI
> refs warning is emitted. This raises a false alarm and the build fails.

I see that. It appears to be coming from java.lang.System.initProperties,
not anywhere we can fix, so it would be reasonable to just filter that out
if possible.

> In the case of PG9 and PG10 with MSVC, a test in examples.jar fails
> probably. org.postgresql.pljava.example.LoggerTest
> SetOfRecordTest not ok

I was just looking at this matrix again, and I realized there might be
something basic I forgot to mention because it's kind of insider trivia:
PostgreSQL changed to a shorter version number scheme starting with 10.
Before that, they were three components and a major release was a bump
in the middle one.

So the three latest major versions have been 12, 11, and 10, and the one
before that was 9.6, and before that was 9.5, and so on.

So, I am not certain, even looking at appveyor.yml, what version of
PostgreSQL it is using in the "PG: 9" case. 9.6, 9.5, 9.4, 9.3, 9.2,
9.1, 9.0 are all different major releases. If that's building against
9.0, that's farther back than I intend PL/Java 1.6 to support. (I'm
not absolutely decided what the cutoff version will be, but 9.3 to
9.5 would be in the ballpark.)

It would not be a bad thing to get the exact versions of PostgreSQL,
Java, etc., into these build logs for easy reference when something
goes wrong. The initial banner that PL/Java outputs when log level
is DEBUG1 would do the trick.

> Yeah, sure. I am exploring the maven plugin and have been facing some
> issues. I'll try to debug it for another day or two before asking for help.

That doesn't sound like much fun. Feel free to say something about the
issues, or check in some code on a branch where I can try building it;
I could try to get some ideas in parallel with you.

This is the 'stretch' part of the project; I haven't built a Maven plugin
either, though I may have spent more time studying existing ones. An
earlier look gives me more of a chance to sound like I know what I'm
talking about when it's time to try to help. :)

Regards,
-Chap