Re: Detecting test failures reported as warnings

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Kartik Ohri <kartikohri13(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pljava-dev(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Detecting test failures reported as warnings
Date: 2020-06-17 19:31:17
Lists: pljava-dev

On 06/17/20 13:15, Kartik Ohri wrote:
> Out of the box, Powershell only supports MySQL server. ODBC drivers will be
> required to be built from source for use with Powershell which I think will
> not be worth the complexity.

Agreed.

> JDBC driver for Java or using python may be a
> viable option. I haven't had much success with the python version though.

I was looking at the various Python driver choices myself the other night
and it wasn't as promising as I thought. pg8000 was the pure-Python one
that I remembered, but can't access warnings (as far as I can tell).
py-postgresql looks quite promising and has message hooks, but even it
has native components, as do several others. I stopped before completing
an exhaustive survey.

There's a lot to like about a Java and JDBC approach. It shouldn't be hard
to get off the ground, JDBC has a nice standard API for finding out about
warnings (and reading through the pgJDBC code, I believe it is implemented,
though I haven't done a test yet).

Later on, as the prerequisites for migrating to TAP get accomplished,
that code could just be evolved to match.

> In any case, a very simple query suppressed INFO outputs SET
> client_min_messages TO WARNING. What should be the behaviour if warnings
> are found ? Should be marked as failed or passing.

My convention in the existing tests has been to use INFO to report
success, and WARNING to report failure. The idea would be to let the
test progress as far as it can, even complete if possible, but give an
overall not-passing result if there were warnings.

Regards,
-Chap