Re: Nashorn JavaScript removal coming in Java 15

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Kartik Ohri <kartikohri13(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pljava-dev(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Nashorn JavaScript removal coming in Java 15
Date: 2020-06-17 19:25:32
Lists: pljava-dev

On 06/17/20 14:36, Kartik Ohri wrote:
> Also, I saw that pljava was failing on Java 15 early builds. Doing some
> digging, I found Nashorn Engine is proposed to be removed from Java 15. So,
> I think it might be the probable cause.

Good catch. So it's gone in 15, eh? I was hoping it might be around
a little longer.

That means it'll be time to add a profile with build-time dependencies
on org.graalvm.js:js and org.graalvm.js:js-scriptengine. That ought to
handle the uses of JS in the build itself (modulo whatever Nashorn ->
GraalJS compatibility kinks we discover).

I see no reason to also depend on the Graal compiler as described in [1];
what JS is being used for in the build doesn't require speed, so we can
keep it simple.

That will leave the problem of the snippets of JS in the self-installer
jar. I really want that jar to Just Work when run on anybody's Java runtime,
without making them download other stuff first.

Copying/shading js.jar and js-scriptengine.jar into it might work, modulo
licensing issues, but it would grow what's now about a 1 MB jar to 16 MB.
Ouch!

Probably time to work on the self-installer Java code and just build in
the work that is currently done in the included JS. That makes it less
transparent and configurable, but it hasn't needed to change much in
several years so it's probably ok.

I wonder if there is some very small, BSD-licensed javax.script engine
for some other language that would work.

Regards,
-Chap