which dual-CPU hardware/OS is fastest for PostgreSQL?

From: Miles Keaton <mileskeaton(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: which dual-CPU hardware/OS is fastest for PostgreSQL?
Date: 2005-01-11 02:42:13
Lists: pgsql-performance

I'm sorry if there's a URL out there answering this, but I couldn't find it.

For those of us that need the best performance possible out of a
dedicated dual-CPU PostgreSQL server, what is recommended?

AMD64/Opteron or i386/Xeon?

Linux or FreeBSD or _?_

I'm assuming hardware RAID 10 on 15k SCSI drives is fastest disk performance.

Any hardware-comparison benchmarks out there showing the results for
different PostgreSQL setups?

Thanks!