Re: Remove array_nulls?

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove array_nulls?
Date: 2015-12-14 17:57:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/11/15 2:57 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com> writes:
>> A quick doc search indicates this config was created in 9.0, though the
>> docs state it's for a change that happened in 8.2[1].
>
> Don't know what you're looking at, but the GUC is definitely there (and
> documented) in 8.2.
>
>> Is it time to remove this GUC?
>
> Perhaps, but I'd like to have a less ad-hoc process about it. What's
> our policy for dropping backwards-compatibility GUCs? Are there any
> others that should be removed now as well?

Perhaps it should be tied to bumping the major version number, which I'm
guessing would happen next whenever we get parallel query execution. If
we do that, a reasonable policy might be that a compatability GUC lives
across no more than 1 major version bump (ie, we wouldn't remove
something in 9.0 that was added in 8.4).