[Pljava-dev] For casual archives readers, this actually means it ISN'T dead :)

From: chap at anastigmatix(dot)net (Chapman Flack)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] For casual archives readers, this actually means it ISN'T dead :)
Date: 2015-07-25 16:15:36
Lists: pljava-dev

I just noticed how this thread shows up in the archives, where the
repetition of "PL/Java is dead" gives a bit of the wrong impression. :)

craig at 2ndquadrant.com (Craig Ringer) wrote:
> Cutting heavily to focus on an extension-only version with
> 9.1-and-newer compatibility on JDK 6 (7?) seems sensible to me.

I've glanced at how the extension machinery is implemented, and
it looks easy to make a streamlined installation that works
pre-extensions and also integrates with the extension system where
it's available.

It seems CREATE EXTENSION essentially sets a global flag that an
extension's being created, and then runs whatever script is supplied
to install the stuff. The registration of all the components as parts
of the extension happens automagically through a multitude of
event triggers that have been set up on every command that creates or
alters anything. So it doesn't look as if supporting extension-style
installation would require any great jump away from pre-extension-style
installation.

-Chap