[Pljava-dev] The pljava Project is dead (LONG but I hope interesting)

From: craig at 2ndquadrant(dot)com (Craig Ringer)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] The pljava Project is dead (LONG but I hope interesting)
Date: 2015-07-20 00:13:05
Lists: pljava-dev

On 20 July 2015 at 04:11, Chapman Flack <chap at anastigmatix.net> wrote:
> 9.1 goes EOL just over a year from now:
> http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/
>
> So, by biting the bullet and declaring some reasonable newer cutoffs
> for back-compatibility, the project can become more contributor-
> friendly.

Cutting heavily to focus on an extension-only version with
9.1-and-newer compatibility on JDK 6 (7?) seems sensible to me.

The PgJDBC project doesn't maintain compatibility anywhere near as far
back as PL/Java, and we're about to advance the BC stops even further.
People who want to use old databases can use old versions of the
driver.

The build system could also use some love.