Re: Need solution for weekly database "snapshot"

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need solution for weekly database "snapshot"
Date: 2013-04-22 17:59:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On 4/22/2013 10:05 AM, Moshe Jacobson wrote:

> Setup a slave.
>
> Not bad, but the transaction logs would fill up the file system.
> Besides, it would not be worth it to set up a whole database cluster
> just for this purpose.
>
> Any alternatives?

if your file system supports it (ZFS, for instance), you /could/ take a
volume snapshot/clone, and then mount that and run a separate instance
of PostgreSQL on it, using a different port number. when done with your
reports, you'd drop that instance and snapshot.

we run a separate server (hardware and database) for our reporting
systems as their workload is heavier than the realtime transaction system.

--
john r pierce 37N 122W