Re: Need solution for weekly database "snapshot"

From: Moshe Jacobson <moshe(at)neadwerx(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Need solution for weekly database "snapshot"
Date: 2013-04-22 17:05:30
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Karsten Hilbert
<Karsten(dot)Hilbert(at)gmx(dot)net>wrote:

> > We have a report in our system that is pulled many times each week, but
> > needs to be based off data from Sunday at noon. So every Sunday at noon,
> we
> > back up our main database and restore it into a new reporting snapshot
> > database.
>
> Setup a slave.

Not bad, but the transaction logs would fill up the file system. Besides,
it would not be worth it to set up a whole database cluster just for this
purpose.

Any alternatives?

--
Moshe Jacobson
Nead Werx, Inc. | Manager of Systems Engineering

"Quality is not an act, it is a habit." -- Aristotle