[Pljava-dev] Source code move to Git

From: craig at 2ndQuadrant(dot)com (Craig Ringer)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Source code move to Git
Date: 2013-01-14 04:10:23
Lists: pljava-dev

On 01/14/2013 12:04 PM, Hal Hildebrand wrote:
> You can execute anything from Maven using the exec maven plugin
> (http://mojo.codehaus.org/exec-maven-plugin/) There's a
> specialization for executing Ant, if that's useful
> (https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-antrun-plugin/) So, the
> mechanics of integrating Make aren't especially difficult.
>
> The bigger difficulty, from my POV, is setting up the environment
> correctly. Having done this a couple of times, it still seems like
> quite the chore to actually build the C portion of pl/java. I'm not
> sure if that's just inherent difficulty or if there's something that
> can be done to make the process painless. I'm guessing the former
> because that's the way C programs roll.

It "just worked" for me, thanks to PGXS. Put `pg_config` on the PATH and
run "make", it just builds.

Were you trying to build the sources directly, without using the PGXS
integration - say via some other build system instead of using the
makefiles?

One thing that worries me is that AFAIK PGXS doesn't work with the
Visual Studio builds on Windows. The PL/Java builds for Windows seem to
be compiled with MinGW, which is kind of ugly when Pg is built with
MSVC. I haven't looked into what's involved in building extensions
out-of-tree on Windows yet as I've always just moved them into contrib/
in the source tree and built them as part of a PostgreSQL source build.