[Pljava-dev] Strange error on linux but not on windows

From: pierce at hogranch(dot)com (John R Pierce)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Strange error on linux but not on windows
Date: 2011-09-24 07:49:25
Lists: pljava-dev

On 09/24/11 12:20 AM, Vorarlberger wrote:
> I wannted to track down details into this issue so ... I have tried
> several ways to get pg_ctl run with root provileges. And I have also
> tried to bypass the ports < 1024 issue with tools like privbind or
> setcap. I had no success ...

the first one is easy...

su -l postgres -c "pg_ctl start -D ... "

There are no good reasons for running a database server daemon as root
such that its ignoring file protection.

And, I fail to see why would you want to run postgres on a low port?

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast