More on unique vs distinct

From: "Wm(dot)A(dot)Stafford" <stafford(at)marine(dot)rutgers(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: More on unique vs distinct
Date: 2006-11-20 20:27:39
Lists: pgsql-general

I guess I should have been a bit more specific. Here is an example of
the type of query I'm finding in the Oracle app and the results of my
attempt to find a PostgreSQL equivalent.

select count(unique 'source_id') from obis_sources;
pgAdmin III query responds:
ERROR: syntax error at or near "'source_id'" at character 23

select count(distinct 'source_id') from obis_sources;
pgAdmin III query responds:
ERROR: could not identify an equality operator for type "unknown"

Thanks for all the help,
-=bill