Re: Pgday italy

From: Caitríona Smith <kit(at)hypostasis(dot)com>
To: pgsql-women(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pgday italy
Date: 2019-04-11 14:10:31
Lists: pgsql-women

Hi All

I really like the original wording. "Man the inbox" may not be a phrase
I've encountered but "man the conference booth" is precisely the common
usage that needs to be watched for. The precise problem is that 'man' is
usually a replacement for 'person' on the assumption that all persons
are men. Whether that is in terms of work being done or time attached to
the doing.

Folks, people, you all, etc. don't necessarily fit in all cases where
one needs to replace 'man' or 'men' but they are good places to start
when thinking about alternative phrases. People hours isn't really
correct, but person hours is, for example. One may not man the inbox,
but one can certainly check or monitor or manage it. Staffing the booth
would be preferable to manning it. And the list of phrases as
alternatives to 'guys' is also pretty important.

regards

-k

Cait