Re: [HACKERS] RE: [INTERFACES] error message

From: José Soares <jose(at)sferacarta(dot)com>
To: JT Kirkpatrick <jt-kirkpatrick(at)mpsllc(dot)com>
Cc: "psql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org'\" \"" <pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] RE: [INTERFACES] error message
Date: 1999-05-05 13:32:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

JT Kirkpatrick ha scritto:

> i do have a few fields (combo boxes based on a query) that sorted on a
> calculated field -- but they seem to work fine in other forms. --don't
> think that was it. but, based on your postulations i re-did a few of the
> queries to NOT sort on the calculated fields. still bombed though. . .
> so, i deleted the link to the particular table, and then re-linked to it,
> and to my surprise, i can now pull up the form without it bombing. i can
> even zip through all the records (36k of them) if i wish. but now it still
> has a problem -- the recordset is not updateable. if i open the table
> directly (not through any query, and again, from within access97, pgsql
> 6.4.2), the table itself is not updateable. the table DOES have a primary
> key -- a DUAL FIELD primary key. I found over the last few weeks that
> Access97 will treat any ODBC table without a primary key defined as not
> updateable, but will it also do the same for DUAL FIELD primary key ODBC
> tables?? it appears so, but can anyone confirm it??

I'm using also access97 with postodbc 6.40.0005 and PostgreSQL v6.5beta1 and it
works fine and I have primary
keys like:

Table = figure_pkey
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+

| Field | Type | Length|

+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+

| azienda | char() | 16 |

| tipo | char() | 2 |

| gruppo | int4 | 4 |

| inizio_attivita | date | 4 |

+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+

Which version of psqlodbc are you using?
I know that Access uses dynaset or snapshots to connect to database.
- If you attach a table without define a primary key Access connects to the
table as snapshot and you can't write table.
- If you define a primary key then Access connects to the table as dynaset and
you are able to write table.
- You must define primary key during table linkage time.
- If you have the ODBC manager option RECOGNIZE UNIQUE INDEXES checked then you
don't need define it
because Access recognize the primary key automatically.
- If you have the ODBC manager option READ ONLY checked then all linked tables
are read only.
PostgreSQL 6.5.0 on i586-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc 2.7.2.3
Jose'