Re: Readd use of TAP subtests

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Readd use of TAP subtests
Date: 2021-12-08 15:25:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 12/8/21 09:08, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker wrote:
>> Either way, I think we should be switching tests to done_testing()
>> whenever it would otherwise have to adjust the test count, to avoid
>> having to do that again and again and again going forward.

> I'm not so sure. I don't think its necessarily a bad idea to have to
> declare how many tests you're going to run.

I think the main point is to make sure that the test script reached an
intended exit point, rather than dying early someplace. It's not apparent
to me why reaching a done_testing() call is a less reliable indicator of
that than executing some specific number of tests --- and I agree with
ilmari that maintaining the test count is a serious PITA.