Re: Converting README documentation to Markdown

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Converting README documentation to Markdown
Date: 2024-09-10 12:50:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 1 Jul 2024, at 12:22, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> wrote:

> Attached is a v2 which fixes a conflict, if there is no interest in Markdown
> I'll drop 0001 and the markdown-specifics from 0002 to instead target increased
> consistency.

Since there doesn't seem to be much interest in going all the way to Markdown,
the attached 0001 is just the formatting changes for achieving (to some degree)
consistency among the README's. This mostly boils down to using a consistent
amount of whitespace around code, using the same indentation on bullet lists
and starting sections the same way. Inspecting the patch with git diff -w
reveals that it's not much left once whitespace is ignored. There might be a
few markdown hunks left which I'll hunt down in case anyone is interested in
this.

As an added bonus this still makes most READMEs render nicely as Markdown, just
not automatically on Github as it doesn't know the filetype.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-Standardize-syntax-in-internal-documentation.patch application/octet-stream 140.9 KB