Re: Converting README documentation to Markdown

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Converting README documentation to Markdown
Date: 2024-09-10 19:14:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 10, 2024 at 8:51 AM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> wrote:
> Since there doesn't seem to be much interest in going all the way to Markdown,

Just for the record, I suspect going to Markdown is actually the right
thing to do. I am personally unenthusiastic about it because I need
one more thing to worry about when committing like I need a hole in my
head, but a chronic complaint about the PostgreSQL project is that we
insist on doing everything our own way instead of admitting that there
is significant value in conforming to, or at least being compatible
with, widely-adopted development practices, and using Markdown files
to document stuff in git repos seems to be one of those. No single
change that we make is going to make the difference between us
attracting the next generation of developers and not, but if we always
prioritize what feels good to people who learned to code in the 1970s
or 1980s (like me!) over what feels good to people who learned to code
in the 2010s or 2020s, we will definitely run out of developers at
some point.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com