Re: Converting README documentation to Markdown

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Converting README documentation to Markdown
Date: 2024-09-10 15:37:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> writes:
> Since there doesn't seem to be much interest in going all the way to Markdown,
> the attached 0001 is just the formatting changes for achieving (to some degree)
> consistency among the README's. This mostly boils down to using a consistent
> amount of whitespace around code, using the same indentation on bullet lists
> and starting sections the same way. Inspecting the patch with git diff -w
> reveals that it's not much left once whitespace is ignored. There might be a
> few markdown hunks left which I'll hunt down in case anyone is interested in
> this.

> As an added bonus this still makes most READMEs render nicely as Markdown, just
> not automatically on Github as it doesn't know the filetype.

I did not inspect the patch in detail, but this approach seems
like a reasonable compromise. However, if we're not officially
going to Markdown, how likely is it that these files will
stay valid in future edits? I suspect most of us don't have
those syntax rules wired into our fingers (I sure don't).