Re: money type's overflow handling is woefully incomplete

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: money type's overflow handling is woefully incomplete
Date: 2017-12-12 21:47:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>> Long story short, I don't think anyone cares about this enough to
>>> spend effort fixing it. I suspect the money data type has very few
>>> users.

> I'm unfortunately not so sure :(.

There seem to be enough of them that we get pushback anytime somebody
suggests removing the type.

> The background is that I was working on committing the faster (&
> correct) overflow checks, and wanted to compile postgres with -ftrapv.
> Some rudimentary cash (as well as pgbench, rel/abstime) fixes were
> required to make the tests succeed...

Really? We've got test cases that intentionally exercise overflow
in the money code? I think we could just drop such tests, until
such time as someone fixes the issue.

(OTOH, I bet we could drop reltime/abstime without too many complaints.
Y2038 is coming.)