Re: Enhance create subscription reference manual

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp
Cc: david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com, smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2024-10-03 03:23:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> parameter in this case (it is an "optional" parameter, though). However,
> when we refer to the stored catalog value, we should call it an option or
> a property and calling it parameter is not suitable.

Not sure. The stored catalog value of a subscription can be changed
ALTER SUBSCRIPTION. In the ALTER SUBSCRIPTION manual, the placeholders
for these properties are "parameter". So I think we should use
"parameter" in this case at least for the stored catalog values of
subscriptions.

> If so, I feel that "the failover" in the following statement means
> the catalog value (or the failover feature itself), so we should not
> rewrite this to "the failover parameter".

My conclusion is we should rewrite it as "the failover parameter" for
the reason above.

>> To initiate replication, you must manually create the replication slot,
>> enable the failover if required, enable the subscription, and refresh the
>> subscription.
>
> Instead, should we use "failover option"?

Yes. because "enable the failover" actually means an operation using
ALTER SUBSCRIPTION IMO.

> Or, if it would mean to the failover
> feature rather than the parameter, is it not proper to add <literal> tag to this
> "failover"?

I don't think so.

Best reagards,
--