Re: Enhance create subscription reference manual

From: Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2024-10-03 02:12:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2 Oct 2024 17:09:42 -0700
"David G. Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 2, 2024, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > `
> > - "subscription's failover option"
> >

> Feels like this one refers to the stored catalog value, which is neither a
> parameter nor an option but an attribute. Though in some cases we are
> using “property” as well. An in this usage option sorta works too but
> parameter really doesn’t - a parameter refers to the command syntax parts,
> not the resultant table attributes.

Thank you for your explanation.

If I understand correctly, whether something is an option of a parameter
should be determined by the syntax placeholder, so "failover" is a
parameter in this case (it is an "optional" parameter, though). However,
when we refer to the stored catalog value, we should call it an option or
a property and calling it parameter is not suitable.

If so, I feel that "the failover" in the following statement means
the catalog value (or the failover feature itself), so we should not
rewrite this to "the failover parameter".

> To initiate replication, you must manually create the replication slot,
> enable the failover if required, enable the subscription, and refresh the
> subscription.

Instead, should we use "failover option"? Or, if it would mean to the failover
feature rather than the parameter, is it not proper to add <literal> tag to this
"failover"?

Regards,
Yugo Nagata

--
Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>