Re: Add has_large_object_privilege function

From: Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add has_large_object_privilege function
Date: 2024-09-29 03:46:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 27 Sep 2024 11:44:25 +0100
Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org> wrote:

> Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
>
> > - New functions introduced during a development cycle should use OIDs in
> > the range 8000-9999. See 98eab30b93d5, consisting of running
> > ./unused_oids to get a random range.
>
> There's been seen several fixups of this kind recently. Should we add a
> note about this to the comment at the top of all of the pg_*.dat files
> that have explicit oid assignments? People might be more likely to
> notice that than the the section over in bki.sgml.

How about adding more to unused_oids output to explain the reason why
patches should use consecutive OIDs in the range 8000-9999 and low OIDs
should not be used in patches(that is, this minimizes the risk of OID
collisions with other patches) instead of just saying it is the best practise.
I think patch authors looking for OIDs they can use will run unused_oids,
so more likely notice this.

Regards,
Yugo Nagata

--
Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>